Saturday, October 10, 2015

It hurts to burp

Monday I went under the knife again - this time to have ear tubes put in.

Last year the quack immunologist thought it was important to have a head CT done to see whether I had any anatomical abnormalities to account for my ear & sinus infections.

I already knew about the one thing that it turned up - that I have a narrowing in my eustacian tube on the left - which would account for why I have an increased number of ear infections in that ear.

So when I saw the new ENT she thought that it was a good idea to try a new med that I shoot up my nose. Unfortunately the med was super expensive (not covered by my insurance) and it wasn't guaranteed to work.

So we waited to see what would happen with my hearing...

Well it didn't improve and the hearing tests showed that my eardrum wasn't working particularly well because I had an accumulation of something behind it - but it didn't look like fluid but she had no idea what else it could be.

So we made the decision to put in ear tubes again - but longer lasting ones this time. Because clearly I've had ear issues most of my life.

When I came out of the anesthetic (general) holy moly was I in pain - particularly the Rt ear that I thought had an infection in it. Well it turns out that my eustacian tube isn't working very well on that side either. When she came and saw me after I was in recovery she explained that the pain was from the release of pressure. She said I didn't have an infection though - so I guess that's a plus.

But holy does it hurt to burp or hiccup! I've also found that when I'm awake for a while it sort of accumulates throoughout the day and I eventually have to have a nap in order to essentially reset things. Bummers about this is that I'm supposed to be able to hang out with hubby while everyone is gone but I'm lucky if I can stay awake for very long. At least I can say he's being patient and understanding. That's a bonus! Now if only I could get him to clean!

No comments:

Post a Comment